Pets are now part of over 84 million U.S. households, and more people than ever before see pets as family. As they try to juggle work, family, school and social activities, people don’t want to miss out on the benefits of pets’ companionship. They want to bring their pets with them!
Pets are good for business, too. People with pets are more likely to visit pet-friendly businesses, and to stay longer during their visit. Plus, having pets around often drives social media buzz, providing both tangible and intangible PR benefits for the business.
The Pets Welcome program shows communities how to launch a coordinated, community wide pet-friendly business initiative that can benefit businesses, pet owners and pets. This includes having clear signage, rules and guidelines for participants, education for businesses, and pet-friendly amenities.
Enjoy the many benefits that being pet friendly brings for your customers and your business!
Key Program Components
- Understanding local ordinances and requirements for pets in businesses
- Making sure your community has pet friendly amenities like waste and hydration stations
- Working with local government as needed to evolve rules and add amenities
- Engaging community thought leaders to help promote the concept
- Getting businesses interested in participating
- Developing a code of conduct for your pet visitors
- Creating signage and educational materials
- Launching the program
- Tracking results to keep learning and developing
Tools to help you get started
- Benefits of making pets welcome
- Promoting your business as pet-friendly
- Ways to make your business pet-friendly
- Sample pet code of conduct
- Handling customer concerns about pets
- Pet behavior 101 for pet-friendly businesses
- Spreading the word on social media
- Ways to participate when you can’t welcome pets