Veterans give so much for our country. When they have symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress (PTS) or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), the stress and anxiety can be nearly overwhelming. Yet there’s a resource that can make an amazing impact: service dogs.
Unfortunately, there’s a lot of confusion about service dogs that can lead to discrimination against veterans. The Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) provides direction, but not enough people are familiar with it.
We are thrilled to partner with American Humane to provide free service dog training videos for businesses. They’re designed to help business owners and employees understand how to better accommodate veterans and others with a service dog. (You can read the press release about our partnership here.)
Also, American Humane shared the additional references below to help businesses understand service dogs and the ADA, and the difference between service dogs, emotional support animals and therapy dogs.
For the 184 veterans diagnosed with PTS every day, a trained service dog can make a world of difference. Let’s make sure service dogs are always welcome.
VIDEOS ABOUT SERVICE DOGS
MORE TOOLS TO HELP
- Understanding the definition of a service dog (PDF) from American Humane
- Understanding service dog laws as a business (PDF) from American Humane
- Press Release: American Humane and Mars Petcare Release Free Videos…
- American Humane website: Service Dogs: What You Need to Know
- Article: A Service Dog Can Change a Life. Here’s What Their Human Partners Wish We Knew about Them
OTHER PET-FRIENDLY BUSINESS RESOURCES
- Pets Welcome Toolkit
- Benefits of allowing pets in businesses
- Pets Work at Work Toolkit
- Benefits of allowing pets in workplaces
- Playbook for Pet-Friendly Cities (PDF)
- 12 Traits of Pet-Friendly Cities model
- Pet-Friendly City Assessment