As more and more pet parents look for opportunities to keep their pets by their side throughout the day, welcoming pets can be a boon for restaurants, bars and cafés with space that can be made pet friendly.
It’s a demand that’s likely to increase, too, since Millennials and Gen Z account for a growing percentage of pet ownership and are also a key demographic for the dining and hospitality industries.
By welcoming pets, businesses make it easier for pet parents to enjoy their visit, and even stay longer since they aren’t worrying about pets waiting at home. That’s good for sales and good for pets and pet parents.
This toolkit provides resources to help businesses that want to welcome pets, including model legislation for cities to enable pet-friendly dining, tools for restaurant owners, and tips for pet parents who want to dine out with their pets.
Tools for Cities
- Benefits of Allowing Pets in Outdoor Dining Areas
- Model Ordinance for Pets in Outdoor Dining Areas
- Dogs in Outdoor Dining Areas are Now Part of the FDA Food Code
Resources for Restaurants
- Things to Consider When Going Pet-Friendly
- Features of a Pet-Friendly Outdoor Dining Area
- Safety Considerations for Restaurants, Bars and Cafés
- Making It a Great Dining Experience for Everyone
- Special Ways to Welcome Pet Guests at Restaurants, Bars and Cafés
Tips for Pet Parents
- Tips for Taking Your Pet to a Restaurant, Bar or Café
- Be Safe When Dining Out; Avoid Giving People Food to Pets