Here are ideas to help show that your pet-friendly business is a great place for pets and pet owners.
1. Train staff on pet behavior and pet safety, to offer pets the same hospitality you give to all your other visitors.
2. Offer your pet guests fresh water. Hydration is very important for pets, especially on hot days.
3. Have pet treats or small toys on hand for visiting pets.
4. Clearly mark any areas where pets are allowed or not allowed within your business.
5. Know where the nearest pet relief station is, so you can direct customers there as needed. Have spare pet waste bags available.
6. Be prepared with paper towels and cleaning supplies just in case accidents happen.
7. Have an amenities basket on hand for pet owners, with items they might need such as hand sanitizer, paper towels, lint roller, etc.
8. Be ready to recommend other businesses that welcome pets. Suggest pet-friendly local areas for walking and other pet-friendly amenities.
9. Stock some pet-friendly products that fit with the theme of your business.
10. Have a special event for pet owners, such as a class or special showing that’s pet-focused, or a promotion where those who bring pets get something extra special.
11. Host a special promotion where a portion of sales goes to support a local pet shelter or rescue.
12. Feature a “Pet of the Week” on your social media.
13. Encourage visitors to post about their pet-friendly experience on social media.
14. Create a “selfie space” in or near your business where people can take pictures with their pets.
15. Honor your pet owner-customers with a picture wall or other display of customers and/or their pets.
Want more tips? Check out the Pets Welcome Toolkit for info about how to launch a pet-friendly business initiative that can benefit businesses, pet owners and pets.