More than 23 million families added a pet during the pandemic, making pets part of over 90 million U.S. households in 2022. At the same time, the bond between people and pets grew stronger than ever. In fact, 81% of pet parents said increased time spent with their cats and dogs during the pandemic made their pets feel even more like family.*
Despite this powerful bond, too many people struggle to find a place to live with their pet. Our survey of shelters and rescues in 2021 found that a lack of pet-friendly housing was among the top five most significant issues driving pet surrenders to shelters.** Even where pets are welcome, there may be restrictions on pet size or breed, or high fees for pet owners.
To keep people and pets together and end pet homelessness, communities need pet-friendly housing policies, welcoming places to live, and support to succeed as renters with pets.
This toolkit offers resources to help, including model legislation and best practices for cities, tools for rental property owners, and tips for pet parents who are looking to rent.
Model Ordinances for Cities
Tools for Cities
- What Makes Rental Housing Pet Friendly?
- How a Pet-Friendly Apartment Registry Helps People and Pets
- Emergency Planning Toolkit: Helping Citizens Be Ready for Emergencies with Pets
- Content for Cities: Emergency Planning for Pet Parents
- HASS: Keeping Families Together: Eviction Response Toolkit
Tools for Rental Property Owners
- Benefits of Allowing Pets in Rental Housing
- Questions and Answers about Allowing Renters with Pets
- Facilities Considerations for Pet-Friendly Housing
- Safety Considerations for Pet-Friendly Housing
- Design Considerations for Pet-Friendly Housing
- Sample Pet Interview: How to Evaluate Pets for Your Property
- Sample Pet Agreement for Rental Properties
- Sample Signage: Responsible Pet Ownership Tips
Tips for Pet Parents who Rent
- Tips to be Successful Renting with Pets
- How to Be a Good Pet Neighbor
- How to Keep Pets Happy and Healthy While You’re Away from Home
- Pet Safety Tips for Entertaining
- Pet Fire Safety
- In Case of Emergency, Who Cares for Your Pet?
- Sample Letter Advocating for Pet-Friendly Housing
- Sample Pet Resume for Applying for an Apartment
* KRC Research online survey of 1,003 U.S. pet parents from July 28 to August 8, 2021.
** KRC Research online survey of 273 representatives of U.S. shelter and rescue organizations from August 9 to August 25, 2021.