Be Safe When Dining Out; Avoid Giving People Food to Pets

It’s fun to have your pet by your side for a meal, especially now that more restaurants are allowing pets in outdoor dining areas.

But it’s important to remember that many people foods can be dangerous for pets. So, no treats from the table unless they are specially designed for pets! Instead, if you’re bringing your pet to a restaurant with you, plan ahead and bring along treats made for them.

Here are just a few examples of people foods pets shouldn’t eat because they can be dangerous or even toxic for pets.

  • Chocolate
  • Alcohol
  • Garlic, onions or chives
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Avocado
  • Blue cheese
  • Macadamia and other nuts
  • Coffee and caffeine
  • Salt and salty snacks
  • Items with seeds, like cherry pits or apple seeds

Check this article from BANFIELD® Pet Hospital for more information.

Signs of poisoning in pets include coughing, drooling, labored breathing, seizures and vomiting or diarrhea. If you suspect your pet has eaten something they shouldn’t, act quickly to get emergency veterinary care or call the Pet Poison Helpline at 800-213-6680.

Don’t panic, but don’t wait. The best way to help your pet is to get care very quickly after they ingest something they shouldn’t.

Want more tips? Check out the Pets on Patios Toolkit for tips to help cities, business and pet parents make outdoor dining pet friendly.

Share This:

Related Posts