Pet fostering has flourished in response to needs brought on by COVID-19. But shelters and rescues are bracing for a time when fosters are returned or people start surrendering longtime pets due to financial hardships or other challenges.
That’s why Mars Petcare created the FOSTER TO FOREVER™ program – to encourage adoption and support pet foster parents who permanently adopt. Pets need people and people need pets! By helping more pets find forever families, we can all live a happier, healthier life.
What we’re doing
Through the program, Mars Petcare is working with adoption advocates Katherine Schwarzenegger, Colton Underwood, LeAnn Rimes and others to raise awareness about the benefits of pet adoption. Keep an eye on their Instagram channels! They’ll be sharing their own lives as pet owners and you can join the conversation by following #FosterToForever.
Plus, Mars Petcare is providing kits with pet food, vouchers for veterinary services, product discounts and fun gear to shelters around the country in some of the areas hardest hit by the pandemic, like Chicago and New Orleans. The kits will be provided to foster parents who opt to adopt, and are a gift from brands across Mars Petcare, including PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, TEMPTATIONS™, BANFIELD™, WHISTLE™ and WISDOM PANEL™.
Seven ways you can help
Whether you’re a pet parent, interested in fostering or simply want to advocate to end pet homelessness, there are many ways you can help:
- Learn about adoption and why it’s great for people and pets.
- See how you can help reduce pet homelessness.
- Find a pet to foster or adopt.
- Keep track of your pets and keep them safe.
- Donate to help PEDIGREE Foundation and Banfield Foundation help more pets in need.
- Get a limited edition Foster Love tee at DogsRuleStore.com – all proceeds fund shelter/rescue grants.
- Share your pet adoption story on social media with #FosterToForever or #MyForeverPet.
Find out more
Here’s a look at the Mars Petcare brands and initiatives that are working together to celebrate pet adoption through the FOSTER TO FOREVER™ program:
The kits will include:
- PEDIGREE® wet food for adult dogs or puppies, and coupons for free PEDIGREE dry dog food and PEDIGREE® DENTASTIX™ treats
- ROYAL CANIN® dry and wet food for adult cats or kittens
- TEMPTATIONS™ cat treats
- A voucher for a free veterinary visit from BANFIELD™ Pet Hospital
- A WISDOM PANEL™ Essential dog DNA test
- Discounts for a WHISTLE™ GO pet activity tracking device
- Other gear and educational information from PEDIGREE Foundation and the BETTER CITIES FOR PETS™ program
In addition, BANFIELD Foundation will provide free veterinary services for up to 1,000 additional shelter pets while they await their forever homes.
Here are the shelters participating in the FOSTER TO FOREVER program:
- Nashville Humane Association (Nashville, TN)
- Anti-Cruelty Society (Chicago, IL)
- Louisiana SPCA (New Orleans, LA)
- Humane Society of Charlotte (Charlotte, NC)
- Michelson Found Animals (Los Angeles, CA)
- San Antonio Animal Care Services (San Antonio, TX)
- Oregon Humane Society (Portland, OR)
- Dallas Pets Alive! (Dallas, TX)
Enjoy YOUR forever pet
Pets make life great in so many ways. We hope you’ll join us in spreading the word about the importance of adoption. And if you’re able, please consider adding a pet to your home. It could save a life, and it will certainly change yours for the better.